Tuesday, May 22, 2012

craft much?

     I've never been accused of being a crafty person.  Probably because I have very little patients.  Those crafty things tend to take time.  Though I have all the time in the world here in Belgium, I have very little desire to sit around and work on something that's going to require my attention for the long haul.
     This year I decided to have the kiddos birthday party at home.  This will be the first time we've ever hosted a party at our house.  I took that once step further.  Not only are we hosting the party ourselves, but we(I) are also going to be as hands on as possible.  One of the things I decided to do myself was to build  the piñata.  At first glance, this seemed like an easy project.  Throw some ripped up newspaper into a water/flower mix and stick it on a balloon.  No big deal, right?  Then I decided that I wanted the piñata to look really cool and to really be within the theme of the party(Angry Birds.)  Sounds easy, right?  Well.... Until you figure out how much candy weighs.  It probably didn't help that I couldn't buy cheap, light candy.  Oh no...  I wanted this piñata to be durable and to be able to hold a few pounds of chocolate!  So...  After several layers paper paper-mache made with glue, a bit of masking tape, primer, paint, construction paper and a few secret ingredients, I now introduce King Pig



I'm going to hate to see him go!

2 comments:

  1. For a "non-crafty" person--that's pretty darned cute!! Pity he has to be smashed . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of me doesn't want it to be smashed, the other part of me can't wait to turn the kids loose on it. I'm dying to know how durable it is!

    ReplyDelete